What makes a great blog? What appeals to you most about your favorite blogs? The most likely answer is that these blogs register with you as identities, being productive, fun, or otherwise useful. If you’ve ever done sales training, advertising, or marketing, you’ll notice that that is also exactly the sort of image used to sell products. There are quite literally tens of millions of blogs published in the world every day.
Most only get a few hits, but some get millions of hits. That’s no coincidence. The highly successful blogs have created a market image for themselves and have very strong identities in their fields.
Blog identity basics
This is a snapshot of a good successful blog with a lot of readers:
- Plenty of useful materials
- Multiple formats
- Healthy, active forum
- Lots of new material regularly
- Contains lots of unique materials
- Topical and interesting
- Well laid out and easy to use
- No visual spam or other eyesores
- Good editing practices ensuring high quality
A blog like this gets readers because it’s well worth reading and has very high value to users. Really great blogs don’t happen by accident. They are planned, they’re extremely well managed, and they deliver high quality. Specialist blogs in particular get bookmarked because they’re excellent sources of information. Topical blogs get bookmarked because they’re always up-to-date, and in some cases even ahead of the news sites.
That’s exactly the sort of image you need to give your own blog a strong identity.
There are several ways of doing this:
Outsource blog materials,
.. This works extremely well, particularly in niche blogs where users are highly motivated and many experts also use the blog. Many blogs also outsource from advertising and marketing agencies, getting tailored materials on a regular basis. This maintains high quality, and can sometimes be achieved simply by allowing the agencies to post backlinks on the blog, with no cost involved.
- Unique, targeted materials. If you have a particular talent or expertise related to your blog, use it. People don’t read blogs to just see the information they could find anywhere else. They read blogs specifically because of the materials targeted to their interests. Create your own good, interesting materials and your users will love you.
- Quality control. Set a high standard for your blog, and stick to it. The Internet audience is the most demanding in the world, and if it doesn’t want to look at something, it won’t. Good quality material guarantees a good market profile for your blog.
- Advertising. Whatever sort of advertising you use on your blog, make sure it’s absolutely relevant to your users. Get rid of the dating agencies and Viagra, and stick to things that matter to users.
Whatever your blog’s subject matter, whether it’s customer service training or space travel, remember that although the presentation is important, substance and quality are critical. Many no-frills blogs get millions of readers, while a flashy blog about nothing much won’t get any. “Content is king” in more ways than one.
Image Credit internet Marketing